Monday, March 8, 2010

Hip Deep...

I notice there are days that I have time for just about anything and yet there is nothing that I have to do. Then all of the sudden the clouds of life decide it’s time for a torrential downpour. You know the kind where you throw on your hip waders and the water still comes in over the top? Yeah, I am having one of those days.

Thank goodness for my nanny. I feel horrible that I have neglected my motherly responsibilities in order to take care of the mile long list that has fallen in my lap. I promised myself I would be this wonder-mom the kind that could do anything in any amount of time and today I feel like I am failing. Sadly, my nannies boyfriend had to put my son to bed for his nap today… I missed that moment when he tells me he loves me and says, “Bye bye mommy!” that’s a precious time I can’t get back. Luckily I have tomorrow to look forward to and yesterday to remember but I want that moment right now.

I caution Mom’s out there who are using my, “That old thing” way of life, always take time for your kids. If you have to do the taxes, let them eat cheerios next to you. If they make a mess, let them clean it up with you. It’s these simple moments that can mean the most to both you and your little one and teach them responsibility. Kids are very observant and just by watching, they will learn things you never taught them.

One of the first things I learned (with a mature cognition) from my Mom just from observing her, was how to make French toast. I remember how she cracked the eggs, whisked them up and added cinnamon. I remember how she dipped the bread, cooked it, flipped it, piled it on a plate and the slices of butter she would place in between the pieces. She would drizzle maple syrup across the top then stack them high and cut them in pieces. She even cut them the same way every time. The thing is, she never told me how to do it but she let me be there to watch her.

That’s one thing about my mom I want to have. She never told us to go away if she was too busy. It didn’t matter if we were obnoxious or needy, rude or contentious. She loved us around NO MATTER WHAT!

So, what will I do with the rain that’s falling and the water I am wading through? What any wonder-mom would do, take off the waders and swim. At least then I can enjoy the storm!!

No comments:

Post a Comment