Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Just another Manic Monday...


I am so glad yesterday is over! Though last night was a special treat because I got to tuck my little 2 year old in bed. He made the whole day feel better when he gave me a thousand kisses and told me he loves me.

After the mayhem of yesterdays TO-DO's I got home just before the sun was setting. The problem was that one of the major things on my list was to trim the neighbors hedges which were overgrowing into my yard. See, the truth is, my husbands family is going to rent next door and we made a deal with the landlord that, for a good rental price, we would fix up the place.

Well the hedges were weighing heavily on my mind... SO I put on my landscape architect hat, grabbed the chainsaw and went to town.

The truth is, I knew what I wanted the hedges to look like but I didn't know how to make it happen. I ALSO knew that what I really needed was one of those fancy hedge trimmers which of course I DO NOT OWN!!

I opted for a top heavy look where the bottom has been cleared away. I figured this would add dimension to the yard without making it look completely naked. I got in my groove and made an amazing new look in the front yard.

I learned that the trick to making thick Holly bushes look amazing is to take one branch away at a time. There are three or four main branches that come down to one root system. Keep those and get rid of all the extras but don't be hasty.

Just as I was finishing up the first hedge, the neighbor came home and peered around his majorly overgrown shrubberies. He remarked how wonderful it looked and wanted to know if I would landscape for him. I joked that it would cost him a fortune then thought to myself, "Oh, that old thing?"

No comments:

Post a Comment